If you’re new to Yoga or have never practised Yoga before and are nervous about attending your first class you might find the following information helpful? Feel free to contact me if you have any other queries.
What to wear?
- Dress in loose comfortable stretchy clothing.
Men generally wear shorts and a t-shirt, women tend to wear sports leggings and vest top. Remember you might be turning your body upside down so wear something that will preserve your modesty.
- Be prepared to have bare feet.
This is for your own safety, so you do not slip. If you really can’t “bear to bare” invest in a pair of yoga socks or socks that have grippy soles.
What to bring?
- A yoga mat or blanket to practise on.
Many yoga studios provide mats, however there’s nothing like having your own mat!
- An empty stomach!
Leave at least 2 hours after eating a light meal and 3-4 hours after a heavy meal before practising any yoga.
- Arrive on time.
Arriving a little bit early is even better. It will give you time to find a spot in the room where you’ll be comfortable and also to ask the teacher any questions.
- Switch off your mobile phone.
- Stay for the entire class.
If you need to leave early please inform the teacher in advance.
Anything else I need to know?
- During class the teacher may ask if it alright to adjust your position. If you are all uncomfortable with this feel free to say “no thanks”. They wont be offended!
- Let the teacher know of any changes in your health before class. Even if you are feeling little under the weather or have a pulled muscle. It’s particularly important if you have a specific health condition or injury as some yoga practices may not be appropriate for you.
- Relax and enjoy yourself!